Everyone's Life is Only a Breath

Passage to be read: Psalm 39: 01-06




"Lord, tell me when the end will come and how long I will have.
Let me know how long I have.
You have given me only a short life; my lifetime is like nothing to you.
Everyone's life is only a breath."
(Psalm 39: 05)

A recent early morning, as I woke up and knelt down in prayer near my bed I suddenly felt this question in me; "God, how Big are You?" 

I felt an amazing vision dawning in front of my eyes. I saw a never-ending line which stretched all the way into the horizon. And I somewhat felt that this line never began because it had no beginning, I couldn't figure it out. But suddenly I realised there was a tiny yellow piece which was not bigger than a tiny dot in that long grey line. And I heard this beautiful voice whispering to me "That's your life!"

As we wake up everyday, we have to thank God. We have seen another day. And as we keep passing through each beautiful day, we have to remember, we are a step closer to the end. Doesn't that surprise you? It would not just surprise us, but it will also change our perspective of this whole life we are living. Each day is a blessing we receive from God, and we are asked to live our fullest on that day. Spread the love and joy we could, be the blessing we could be for others and do the best we can for God. Blossom each day with fragrance.

Look at the passage we have read above (Psalm 39: 1-6). An amazing question that King David asks God. He wanted to know the answer but he ended up realizing something. King David ventured into the search of how long he will have and when the end will come. He says "Let me know how long I have." 

Instead of receiving an answer, he realizes something. And that's the greatest realization! Kind David, one of the greatest the history of the world has ever witnessed, would be having so many reasons for such a question. May be, he had so much to do or he wanted to know how big human beings are? What a lifetime we could boast of? After all, King David is the greatest king the nation of Israel has ever seen. They have the 'David's Star' in their national flag until this day. Three beautiful truths about life are obvious in his realization.

First of all, we have a short life! Does that strike you? Shorter than our human minds would imagine of; just enough to live the purpose for which were created. The Creator is still in control, we cannot forget that. 

Second, our lifetime is like nothing to God. If our human minds could slightly imagine how magnified God is, we would understand that our life is nothing in front of God. He has no beginning and end. He is THE beginning and THE end! And our life is just a tiny dot somewhere between this never-beginning and never-end. Wow! Doesn't that make us realize how loving considerate God is for us. Still he listens to our prayers, cares for us, ensure we find our food, and sleep under a roof. Still He knows when we shed tears in pain and His arms are available to hold us. God remembers us by our  names. How great is He? Great, indeed!

And the Third truth is that, everyone of our life is only a breath. When I read this, I instantly remembered bubble blowing. Just that same picture! God gave us the breath of life when we entered into this world. Even though our life is so short, just like a bubble which is going to burst any next moment, God still admires it and God enjoys the beauty in each and every one of our life. And that's something makes us smile.

Let us thank God for being so Great and humbling Himself all the way to deciding that He would also live this life once with us. And Christ Jesus did that for us. Lived this short life with us on this earth, ignoring that this life was nothing to Him. Jesus lived amongst us, showed us the way, died on the cross for our sins, and the third He rose from the dead! An empty grave is there to prove that our Lord lives. He lives for us.

I pray that we would all remember how Great our God is, how Big He is and with how much of live He considers each and everyone of our life precious and valuable to Him. He gives His everything for us, even though our life is nothing to Him, knowing that our life is just a breath.

May God bless you and guide you.

Yours in Christ,





Global Reach of 'Weekly Devotions with Ebenezer'

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates
Click on the picture above to reach our FB page

Popular Posts