Acknowledging and Appreciating God's Faithfulness


Today’s Bible Verse
I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps.
(Genesis 32: 10)

Sometimes, in our busy life of every day, we miss remembering and appreciating God's faithfulness in our lives. We work with goals and aims, and achieve things with God's help as we keep moving, but never get the time to appreciate the faithfulness of God through all this. You should pause and look back. I should halt and remember how I was when I started. We should have a break, remember and appreciate how the Lord has been helping and guiding us. It is important for us to take some time off to realise how faithful and true the Lord is.

In the book of Genesis, we read that Jacob, after so many years of being away from his home and avoiding the anger of his brother Esau, is on his return with his entire family, servants and all his belongings. He sends messengers to his brother seeking favour in his eyes. His messengers returned with news that would have shocked him for a while. They said that Esau was on his way to meet Jacob with four hundred men. In fear of his brother, Jacob divides his people and belongings into two groups. If one of them is attacked the other may escape and survive. What a moment it would have been for Jacob. And then Jacob prayed to God. He prayed, “O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, Lord, you who said to me, ‘Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,’ I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps" (Genesis 32: 09, 10). We learn two important lessons from this passage. 

Jacob Acknowledges His Unworthiness of God's Faithfulness
Even in this troublesome and fear-filled situation, Jacob remembers to turn to God for help. Indeed he is standing there with so much under his name. He has his wives, his children, his entire group of servants, his cattle and treasures, and his earning for the last many years at his father-in-law Laban's place. He has accumulated so much. And still, Jacob was humble enough to realise the hard and trouble-filled path that he has travelled years before, remembers how unworthy he was for God to show so much kindness and faithfulness towards him, and takes time even in this urgent time to acknowledge his status. Jacob says, "I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant" (Genesis 32: 10a). 

Jacob Appreciates God's Faithfulness Over the Years
Over the years it had been a journey of faith among trials, struggles, challenges, fears and achievements for Jacob. He is in a much better status than he was when he ran away from home on the same path that he once ran away from home escaping the wrath of his brother. Jacob remembers how he was when it all started. He remembers what he had with him - only his staff. He had nothing when he started this faith venture. God met him on the way and promised him to bring him back home with prosperity. And here he is, returning with a crowd that bears his name. He remembers how faithful the Lord has been in his life and prays "I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two camps" (Genesis 32: 10b). 

Today, whatever pressing situation you may be going through, I want to encourage you to take time to acknowledge and appreciate God's faithfulness in your life. It is important to realise how unworthy we are and it is God's grace that holds us and continues to make us worthy of His faithfulness. It is good to take time to see how faithful the Lord has been in each of our lives. 

May the blessings of God the Father, the love and grace of Christ Jesus the Son, and the fellowship and guidance of the Holy Spirit, be with us as we continue to seek Him. 

May God bless you.

Yours in Christ,

🎶
"Goodness Of God" 
by Jenn Johnson


Global Reach of 'Weekly Devotions with Ebenezer'

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates
Click on the picture above to reach our FB page

Popular Posts