An Invitation to Become All Things to All People



"I have become all things to all people so I could save some of them in any way possible. 
I do all this because of the Good News and so I can share in its blessings."
(1 Corinthians 9: 22b - 23)

The life that a Christian is called to live comes with an invitation. And, the invitation is to become 'all things to all people.' This great calling is to make ourselves approachable and available to others. As we continuously keep trying to live by the way that Christ Jesus has shown us, it is important to open our eyes, see and realise what God did to us out of His love for us. God sent His one and only begotten son Jesus Christ into this world so that the presence of God was approachable and available for us to reach. Christ Jesus humbled himself and made himself approachable and available to everyone around him.

In his first letter to the Corinthians, Apostle Paul writes on the importance of becoming 'all things to all people.' Paul says, "I am free and belong to no one. But I make myself a slave to all people to win as many as I can. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win the Jews. I myself am not ruled by the law. But to those who are ruled by the law I became like a person who is ruled by the law. I did this to win those who are ruled by the law. To those who are without the law I became like a person who is without the law. I did this to win those people who are without the law. (But really, I am not without God’s law—I am ruled by Christ’s law.) To those who are weak, I became weak so I could win the weak. I have become all things to all people so I could save some of them in any way possible. I do all this because of the Good News and so I can share in its blessings" (1 Corinthians 9: 19 - 23). 

As I read through this passage, the one important aspect that touched me deeply was the conscious effort Paul had taken to reach people. He had to change himself according to the people and their circumstances. He was not having himself separated from fellow believers and the people around him. Paul made himself a part of wherever he was, and still stood the test of times to be a witness for the love of Christ Jesus. While carrying the love of Christ Jesus with him, Paul, literally, made himself a slave to all the people, so that he would be able to show them this love. To the Jews, he became like a Jew. To those who were ruled by the law, he also made himself bound by the law, and to those who were free from the law, he again took their way. This flexibility that we find in Paul's life for the sake of those who were in need of knowing Christ's love is an example for all of us. We are called to be the same in our lives. 

In the present world with all kinds of differences and variations, Christians are called to be exemplary testimonies of the love of Christ Jesus. There are many ways in which people could come to know about Jesus and his ministry. There are numerous ways in which people could learn to gain knowledge about Christ Jesus and his love. But only through the love-filled life of Christians others can see the application of Christ Jesus's examples. We are called to be the ambassadors of the Lord who are able to stand with people in whatever conditions and situations they are in. We are invited to make ourselves approachable and available to all people around us so that we could show them the love of Christ Jesus and the good news that they find in him -  the good news of salvation, the good news of eternity, the good news of what we believe in God through Christ Jesus. This would be the best way to be there for those who are in search of God's love. 

When we are among children, let us be a part of them. Let us talk about what seems amazing to them. Let us show them that we are able to see the world through their eyes. When we are with youth, let us go in their style. Let us sit with them at the same table and show them that we see their challenges from their seats. When we sit with those who are overwhelmed with guilt, let us show them that we are struggling with the same and the grace of God that is new every morning keeps us moving in His love. At the same time, when we sit with those who have so many things to boast about, let us show them with love how much we could boast about the love and grace of Christ Jesus. This is the calling to become 'all things to all people.' 

I pray that the power of God the Father, the grace of Christ Jesus and the guidance of the Holy Spirit will help all of us to make ourselves approachable and available to those around us. Let us become all things to all people with the love of the Lord. 

May God bless you.

Yours in Christ,





Global Reach of 'Weekly Devotions with Ebenezer'

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates

Like and Follow Our Facebook Page For Regular Updates
Click on the picture above to reach our FB page

Popular Posts